PHILADELPHIA, January 23, 2013 – The state Senate Democratic Appropriations Committee will hold a public discussion on the budgetary and economic impact of Medicaid expansion in Pennsylvania.
The round table discussion will be held TOMORROW, Thursday, Jan. 24 at noon in the Mayor’s Reception Room (Room 202) at City Hall in Philadelphia, PA.
“Pennsylvania has the chance to help hundreds of thousands of uninsured citizens and provide a much needed boost to our state economy with the expansion of the Medicaid program,” Democratic Appropriations Chair, Vincent Hughes (D-Phila./Montgomery) said. “This informational discussion will provide us an opportunity to gather all the facts on Medicaid expansion and what it will mean for Pennsylvania.”
The U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling on the Affordable Care Act allows individual state governors and state legislatures the decision to expand Medicaid to cover more uninsured individuals. Governor Tom Corbett has not yet decided if Pennsylvania will participate in Medicaid expansion.
Medicaid expansion in Pennsylvania could:
- Infuse $4 billion federal dollars into Pennsylvania’s budget.
- Provide access to health insurance to a half a million Pennsylvanians.
- Create an estimated 285,000 jobs over 10 years.
- Unburden hospitals with $1 billion in uncompensated care costs.
- Reduce burden on counties who currently provide mental services to the uninsured.
“Medicaid expansion will have a far-reaching effect on Pennsylvania’s economy and health care delivery,” Hughes added. “I believe that it is important to examine the impact of Governor Corbett’s decision on Pennsylvania’s economy, as well as the health and well-being of Pennsylvania residents.”
The discussion will be opened by U.S. Congresswoman Allyson Schwartz. Rep. Schwartz will provide the federal perspective on Medicaid expansion. The event will also feature a presentation from Robin Rubowitz, an Associate Director for the Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured.
Other confirmed participants include:
- Joanne Grossi – Regional Director, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Pam Clarke, VP of Managed Care And Finance, Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania
- Patrick Norton and Al Black from University of Pennsylvania Health System
- Mike Rosenstein- Pres., Managed Care Coalition
- Richard Weishaupt or Kristen Dama – Community Legal Services
- Ann Bacharach – Special Project Director, Pa. Health Law Project
- Dr. Don Schwarz – Commissioner, Phila. Health Dept/Deputy Mayor for Health and Opportunity
- Dr. Arthur Evans, Department of Behavioral Health
- Sharon Ward – Pa. Budget and Policy Center
- Antoinette Kraus – Pa. Health Access Network
- Ali Kromley – SEIU
WHO: Senate Democratic Appropriations Committee
WHAT: Round Table Discussion on Medicaid Expansion in Pennsylvania
WHEN: January 24 at noon
WHERE: City Hall, Mayor’s Reception Room (Room 202) |Philadelphia, PA
Media Coverage is invited and encouraged.
# # #