Harrisburg – Noviembre 16, 2016 – Senate Democrats today elected leaders for the 2017-18 legislative session. State Senator Jay Costa (D-Allegheny) was re-elected Democratic Floor Leader.
“It is an honor and a privilege to once again be chosen to serve the caucus as Leader,” Costa said. “We face many challenges moving into the new session but our members are focused and determined to address key issues and provide for the needs of all Pennsylvanians.”
Costa was elected to the Senate in 1996 and was elected into leadership in 2006, serving first as Caucus Chairman and later Democratic chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee.
Costa will be joined in leadership for the 2017-18 legislative session by:
- Sen. Anthony Williams (D-Phila./Montgomery), Democratic Whip. Williams has served in the state legislature since 1988 and was elected to the Senate in 1998. He has served as Democratic Whip since 2011.
- Sen. Vincent J. Hughes (D-Phila./Montgomery), Democratic Appropriations chair. Senator Hughes was elected to the Senate in 1994 and served the caucus previously as Caucus Chairman. This will be Hughes’ fourth term as Democratic Appropriations chair.
- Sen. Wayne Fontana (D-Allegheny), Caucus Chairman. Fontana was elected to the Senate in 2005 and was appointed to the leadership team in 2011 as Caucus Administrator where he served for four years.
- Sen. Larry Farnese (D-Philadelphia), Caucus Secretary. Sen. Farnese has represented the First Senatorial District since 2009 and has served on the Democratic leadership team as Caucus Secretary since 2014.
- Sen. Lisa Boscola (D-Northampton/Lehigh), Policy Committee Chair. Boscola has served in the legislature for more than 20 years and was chosen to serve in 2010 as Caucus Administrator and elected in 2011 as Policy Committee chair.
The leadership positions are effective Dec. 1.